Friday 3 February 2012

Hobkirk Kirkyard photos


I had an enjoyable day out in the Scottish countryside today. It was a very cold but very sunny day. As traditionally gravestones face east I made a fairly early start to ensure I could catch the morning sun hitting the front of the stones.

I was looking for a particular stone, which I found quickly, but as I was there on such a beautiful day I decided to photograph all the gravestones in the older part of Hobkirk Kirkyard. An example is shown below, but someday we will try to make them all available online. In the meantime if you are looking for a particular grave e-mail me and I’ll see if I can find it for you.





In Memory Of
James Binnie Oliver son of
George Oliver Shepherd in Gatehous-
ecott who does at Carolcroft
June 21st 1853 Aged 20 years

Also
George Oliver who dies at Burnfoot Sept. 12
1878 Aged 76 Years.

Also
Elspeth Murray wife of George Oliver
who died at Gatehousecott, March 13th, 1862,
aged 62 years.

Also Robert Barnes their son in law
who died at Hawthornside 18th July 1894.
Aged 57 years

Also Elizabeth Oliver his wife who died
at Kinninghall 17th Aug. 1917, aged 86 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment